The Design Assistant supports the Design Team in all event design and some administrative tasks. Responsible for creative research and sourcing for assigned designs, as directed by the assigned Event Designer. Effectively works with internal teams regarding design and production while simultaneously organizing and preparing the Team on a daily basis. Works closely with the Design Team to ensure all design work is of the highest quality, up to company standards and on brand for the client. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Supports design and implements creative direction on all assigned client projects.
- Meets with internal teams to understand the scope of the event.
- Supports the assigned Event Designer in implementing the event concept and design, specifically in the multi-faceted components of an event such as venue(s), color, sound, lighting, décor, and any other relevant attributes of the design planning process
- Ensures assigned event designs are completed on time and adhere to the established specifications, standards and budgets.
- Participates in weekly Department brainstorms and meetings to share knowledge within the department.
- Develops Design Planning Timeline based on the Event Planning Timeline for all assigned events.
- Create look books and design boards as requested.
- Responsible for new supplier research in the categories of bands/specialty entertainment, photographers, videographers, stationers, and graphic designers
- Based on the assigned Event Designer’s direction, provides input and recommendations on venues and suppliers to be presented to the client.
- Takes notes and photographs sites for site visits as necessary.
- Participates in and develops list of action items during calls with outside suppliers for assigned events.
- Facilitates assigned Event Designer’s design direction for floor plans and renderings.
- Provides content for design presentations as directed.
- Provides ballpark pricing to internal teams for recommended rental, linen and décor items as directed by the assigned Event Designer
- Facilitates the assigned Event Designer’s review and approval of floral sample photos and stationery proofs
- Participates in Design Presentation Setup and implements the assigned Event Designer’s direction for lighting look for Design Presentations
- Supports event teams and vendors by communicating details of production to ensure implementation and alignment with the design
- Communicates with event teams and vendors about event design changes or modifications as directed by the assigned Event Designer
- Working with the Inventory group, facilities the assigned Event Designer’s direction for creative specialty builds and communicates all information and a plan for execution to the internal Production team
- Understands event plan details to determine how they should be implemented in association with relevant team members
- Communicates recommended service-ware design based on menu selection
- Supports the assigned Event Designer with all design implementation on site at client events
- Establishes and implements a catalog system for décor and props in inventory; creates a system to track ideas or elements for the Design Department such as existing and new venues and entertainment, lighting ideas and concepts, tear sheets showing interesting décor and floral, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A substantive internship in the creative field required, preferably working with high profile clients, non-profit organizations or event concept and design.
- Attention to detail, critical thinking, creative ability, and willingness to do ‘whatever it takes’ to achieve the project objective
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and work effectively under pressure
- The ability to work independently within the culture of strong collaboration in a group process
- Exceptional organization, communication and project/time management skills
- Flexibility to change and adapt to considerable variety in the workplace
- Ability to travel (approximately 25%)
- Able to work overtime, nights and weekends
- Works autonomously with minimal supervision
- Proficient in the Adobe suite of products